Fort Hood Shootings

KUT News

The U.S. Army has closed its investigation into the April 2014 shooting at Fort Hood that left four people dead. The Army concluded that there was “nothing in the assailant’s background, medical or military profile” that might have provided officials with warning signs that he would act violently.

Specialist Ivan Lopez opened fire on the Army base on April 2 of last year, killing three soldiers and injuring 12. Lopez then took his own life.

November 5, 2009 Ft. Hood Memorial

People trying to build a memorial for victims of the 2009 shooting at Fort Hood hope a ground breaking ceremony they held Tuesday will help raise the last amount of cash they need to complete the project. 

It's been almost five years since Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan opened fire at the Army post, killing 13 people and wounding more than 30. Hasan, 43, was sentenced to death last year by a military jury.

Elizabeth Baier MPR News

On Wednesday, Fort Hood remembered the victims of last week’s shootings.

President Obama spoke at the memorial service.

“It was love for country that inspired these three Americans to put on the uniform and join the greatest army that the world has ever known,” the president said.

The last week has also been hard for survivors of the last shooting spree. In 2009, Patrick Zeigler was shot four times by Major Nidal Malik Hasan.

Zeigler talked with KERA about his recovery -- and the surprising friendships that have come from that tragic day.

Obama Eulogizes Soldiers Killed at Fort Hood

Apr 9, 2014
Kate McGee, KUT News

Update: For the second time in five years, President Obama arrived at Fort Hood to mourn alongside those grieving the loss of their family members in a shooting on post. Three men were killed and sixteen were injured in the shooting on April 2.  

Fort Hood families know death is a part of war: 576 soldiers Fort Hood have died serving in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“As an army we accept this a dangerous profession, and all who wear this wonderful uniform and pledge to defend our nation and its way of life, understand they may be called to make that ultimate sacrifice," says John M McCue, Secretary of the Army. “But inside these gates, behind these walls, we expect a much different order of things.”

U.S. Army, flickr.com/soldiersmediacenter

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama are expected to attend a memorial service Wednesday to honor the three soldiers killed in last week’s shooting at Fort Hood.

Obama visited Fort Hood in November 2009 under similar circumstances following the shooting by Maj. Nidal Hasan that left 13 dead and 32 wounded. Hasan was convicted in August 2012 of those killings and was sentenced to death.

The Obamas were already planning to travel to Texas this week. On Thursday, the President will speak at the LBJ Presidential Library’s Civil Rights Summit to mark the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act.

Fort Hood Public Affairs

Fort Hood officials are releasing more information about the three soldiers killed in a shooting at the post on Wednesday.

Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Michael Ferguson, 39, was from Mulberry, Florida. He had been in active-duty military service since 1993 and worked in transportation.

Ferguson served two tours in Kuwait and one each in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Staff Sgt. Carlos A. Lazaney-Rodriguez, 38, was from Puerto Rico. He entered active-duty service in 1995 and worked with the medical teams.

Ashley Landis/EPA/Landov

At Fort Hood in Killeen, people are accustomed to the idea of death. At any given point, around ten percent of soldiers from the post are deployed overseas.

This week, soldiers, families and residents were reminded of how close to home tragedy can strike – when Ivan Lopez opened fire killing three others and wounding 16 before turning the gun on himself.

Fort Hood Public Affairs Office

This post contains Day 2 developments in the Fort Hood shooting. See our initial report on the shooting here.

Summary: Family counseling centers are set up at Fort Hood and at a location off post to help people process yesterday’s shooting. A chapel on the post was open all night for people who wanted to pray.

Four are dead and 16 are injured from a shooting at the Army post. The suspected shooter, 34-year-old soldier Ivan Lopez, is among the dead. He was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Lopez was an Iraq war veteran and was in the process of being diagnosed for post-traumatic stress disorder

KUT reporter Kate McGee traveled to Fort Hood yesterday. She talked with KUT Host Jennifer Stayton about the shooting:

Landov

It was over four years ago when Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan entered the troop-filled soldier processing room at Fort Hood and opened fire with a laser sighted pistol.

Yesterday, the Fort Hood Directorate of Public Works confirmed demolition of Building 42003, the soldier processing room where most of the attack took place.

Video of the demolition – seen below – shows a backhoe tearing into an exterior wall of the building and pulling pieces of it to the ground. The November 2009 attack left 13 people dead and more than 30 wounded.

Mose Buchele, KUT News

Public radio listeners were first introduced to Michael Cahill just days after his death.

In a story that aired November 2009, we learned about Cahill, who was working as a physician’s assistant at Fort Hood when he became the only civilian killed in the shooting there.

Landov / Landov

The jury in the court martial of Nidal Hasan sentenced him to death Wednesday. He was convicted of killing 13 people and wounding more 32 in the 2009 shooting at Fort Hood. But legal experts say it could still be years before the death sentence is carried out – if at all.

Under military law, Hasan’s case will automatically be appealed because he received a death sentence, even if he doesn’t want to appeal.

But before the case goes to an appeals court, the commanding general of Fort Hood must approve the findings and the sentence. That alone will take a while.

Brigitte Woosley

Army Major Nidal Hasan has been sentenced to death for the 2009 shootings at Fort Hood that left 13 people dead and 32 wounded.

The military jury deliberated for a little more than two hours before announcing their decision. Military law requires the panel be unanimous to impose the death sentence.

Hasan could be the first member of the military executed since 1961, though the sentence triggers an automatic appeals process that could stretch for years to come.

In representing himself during the trial, Hasan presented little in the way of a defense. In his opening argument, he admitted the evidence would show he was the shooter. He offered no closing argument and did not call any witnesses during either the trial or penalty phase. 

Hasan Declines to Present Defense During Sentencing

Aug 27, 2013
Brigitte Woosley

Update, 2:30 PM: When given the opportunity to speak on his own behalf today, Hasan simply said "the defense rests." The jury was dismissed, and will likely return tomorrow morning for closing arguments for sentencing.

Earlier: Emotional testimony from survivors and family members of victims of the Fort Hood shooting ended today in the military trial of Army Major Nidal Hasan, now in its sentencing phase.

Brigitte Woosley

The second day of sentencing begins today in the military trial of convicted Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Hasan.

The court is likely to hear more testimony from survivors and the families of those killed.

A jury found Hasan guilty of premeditated murder Friday in the November 2009 mass shooting that killed 13 and wounded 32. In the sentencing phase, the focus has shifted to the human cost of Hasan's shooting spree.

Brigitte Woosley

Update: Army Maj. Nidal Hasan has been found guilty on all counts of premeditated murder and attempted murder in the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood. Hasan now faces either life in prison or the death penalty. Sentencing begins Monday. 

Army psychiatrist Hasan acted as his own attorney in the case – but he did so little in his own defense that his standby counsel expressed concern that he was purposely seeking the death penalty.

Sentencing begins Monday. The sentencing phase runs similarly to a trial. The 13 members of the military panel will decide Hasan’s sentence—not the judge. Prosecutors  are expected to call 19 witnesses, including family members. They’re expected to talk about the grief they experienced losing a loved one.

Jury Deliberating in Fort Hood Shooting Trial

Aug 22, 2013
Brigitte Woosley

Update: The jury in the court martial of Major Nidal Hasan has begun to deliberate. They're considering whether or not Hasan is guilty of 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of premeditated attempted murder in the Fort Hood shooting in 2009. 

Killeen Chamber of Commerce

The court martial of Maj. Nidal Hasan continues this week at Fort Hood. He’s accused of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 people in a shooting rampage there in November 2009.

Just beyond the gates of the Army post is in the city of Killeen. Since the start of the military trial, community leaders there have invited media covering the trial to several community events. It’s a chance to highlight the city – even if it’s not under the best of circumstances.

Brigitte Woosley

Over 40 witnesses have testified in the court martial of Maj. Nidal Hasan. Most of the witnesses today identified Hasan as the shooter. Many had been shot in the attack.

Nearly all of the witnesses testified when the shooting began they thought it was a training exercise. Even as some were hit, they thought they were hit by paintballs, until they noticed blood. They described a rapid firing, a pause as the shooter reloaded, and the continued shots ringing out. The testimony continues to be detailed and graphic.

Brigitte Woosley

Today wraps up the first week of testimony in the trial of Maj. Nidal Hasan, the man accused of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 at the Fort Hood Army Post on Nov. 5, 2009.  

Brigitte Woosley

In the opening statement at his court-martial, Maj. Nidal Hasan said, “The evidence will clearly show that I am the shooter.”

While the case against Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of killing 13 people at Fort Hood in 2009, appears simple, punishment may not be swift.

Brigitte Woosley

Update: The trial of Major Nidal Hasan is expected to resume at 9 a.m. after an abrupt recess yesterday. Nidal's council filed a motion to clarify their role in the trial. Listen above to hear what  happened yesterday. 

Update: (12:53 p.m.)  When Maj. Nidal Hasan was wheeled into the courtroom Wednesday morning, the press expected to hear continued testimony in the trial. But it quickly became apparent today would present another twist in an already unprecedented case.

Late Tuesday night, Hasan’s standby council, led by Lt. Col. Kris Poppe, filed a motion to clarify the council’s role in the trial. The council believes Hasan wants the death penalty, and they do not want to provide legal assistance to him if that’s his goal.

Brigitte Woosley, sketch artist

Today marks Day Two in the trial of Major Nidal Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 at Fort Hood on Nov. 5, 2009. The trial is expected to take months – only twelve of the nearly 300 witnesses testified Tuesday. More of the prosecution’s witnesses will testify today as prosecutors continue to build a case against Hasan. 

Hasan at Fort Hood Trial: 'I Am the Shooter'

Aug 6, 2013
Brigitte Woosley

Update: Testimony is underway in the Maj. Nidal Hasan case. Eight witnesses have testified so far, including employees at Guns Galore, a local gun shop where Hasan purchased ammunition and weapons.

Fredrick Brennan, one of the employees at Guns Galore, said Hasan regularly purchased 200 to 300 rounds of ammunition for shooting practice.

Bell County Sheriff's Department

The trial of the alleged Fort Hood shooter is set to start next week.

Army Maj. Nidal Hasan is accused of killing 13 people and wounding dozens of others in a shooting rampage at the Army post in 2009.

The military judge in the trial ruled Wednesday the government can’t use some evidence in opening statements. The prosecution wanted to use three alleged e-mails between Hasan and Anwar al-Awlaki – a man described as an al-Qaeda recruiter.

Brigitte Woosley, sketch artist

Update: Six of the first 20 potential panelists in the trail of Major Nidal Hasan were dismissed today in the first day of jury selection. The court will resume tomorrow and split the remaining panelists into groups for individual questioning. The first group will begin at 9 a.m. and the second group will be questioned at 2:30 p.m. Hasan is accused of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 in a shooting at the Fort Hood army post in 2009. 

KUT News

It’s been more than three years since a gunman walked into a military processing center at Fort Hood – about an hour north of Austin – and began shooting people at point blank range. Thirteen people were killed and more than thirty were wounded. After years of delays, the trial of Army Maj. Nidal Hasan begins today with jury selection.

Bell County Sheriff's Department

The trial of accused Fort Hood shooter Major Nidal Hasan will begin in three weeks.

Yesterday, a military judge denied Hasan’s request to delay his trial another three months.

The same judge previously barred Hasan from using the “defense of others” argument. The Army psychiatrist argued that the Fort Hood shootings were necessary in keeping soldiers from being deployed to Afghanistan, where they would put others’ lives at risk.

courtesy Bell County Sheriff's Department

The judge has scheduled another hearing today in the case of the Fort Hood shooting suspect.

It’s unclear what the trial judge, Col. Tara Osborne, will rule at the hearing, but a statement from Fort Hood says she is “expected to announce rulings from matters litigated at past hearings.”

courtesy Bell County Sheriff's Department

An expected decision on Fort Hood shooting suspect Maj. Nidal Hasan's request for a three-month trial delay was further delayed today by military judge Col. Tara Osborn.

The AP reports the judge will delay her decision on Hasan's request until Tuesday, allowing him time to file  paperwork supporting the "defense of others" strategy that Hasan proposes. Maj. Hasan has chosen to defend himself rather than rely on counsel.

Bell County Sheriff's Office

We know more about how the accused Fort Hood shooter plans to defend himself at his court martial, but it’s not enough information for the judge.

And that is delaying jury selection.

Major Nidal Hasan says he will make the case that he opened fire on soldiers at Fort Hood in 2009 because they were being deployed to Afghanistan, where he says they would be a threat to the Islamic Emirate and leaders of the Taliban.

Pages