Where Central Texans can find fireworks, live music and parades this Independence Day weekend.
The whiplash of Texas clinics turning away patients, rescheduling them and now potentially canceling appointments again illustrated the confusion and scrambling taking place since Roe fell.
The Christian Right's wins in the Supreme Court on abortion and prayer in school come at a time when a growing majority of Americans are strongly opposed to its views.
Austin's hot, dry summer creates ideal conditions for hardening fresh asphalt. So the Public Works Department toils through the sweltering heat to resurface as many miles of roads as possible then.
There are multiple tales behind a cave known as Stark’s mine in the area. It was said to be dug over 100 years ago in an attempt to find buried treasure.
1 of 9 — DragBrunch3_KL_Jun182022
PRIDE 2022: Drag queen Brigitte Bandit performs during a drag brunch at the Coconut Club on June 18.
2 of 9 — DragBrunch2_KL_Jun182022
Brigitte Bandit receives cash from a guest during her performance.
3 of 9 — DragBrunch1_KL_Jun182022
A bachelorette party watches as Brigitte Bandit sings and dances while impersonating Dolly Parton at the downtown dance club, the Coconut Club.
4 of 9 — RoundRockPride1_KL_Jun042022
Round Rock held its first pride festival on June 4, at Centennial Plaza.
5 of 9 — RoundRockPride2_KL_Jun042022
Madysen Shepard paints a nonbinary flag on Jinx Noble's face at the Round Rock Pride Festival.
6 of 9 — RoundRockPride3_KL_Jun042022
The Austin Gay Men's Chorus performs at the Round Rock Pride Festival.
7 of 9 — RoundRockPride4_KL_Jun042022
Festival attendees wear rainbow-colored cowboy hats as they watch the Austin Gay Men's Chorus perform.
8 of 9 — RoundRockPride5_KL_Jun042022
A performer from the Austin Babtist Women comedy troupe sings to the Round Rock crowds.
9 of 9 — RoundRockPride6_KL_Jun042022
A person waves an LGBTQ+ flag in front of a Round Rock banner at Centennial Plaza.
A couple dozen family members of victims of the Robb Elementary shooting attended Uvalde’s city council meeting Thursday looking for answers. They said they want transparency and accountability, but city officials said they couldn’t share any new information or hold anyone accountable at this time.
State education board members push back on proposal to use 'involuntary relocation' to describe slaveryThe Texas State Board of Education is fielding proposals to update the state’s public school social studies curriculum this summer.
While Texas students have not regained all the ground they lost in math during the pandemic, scores across all grades were higher in 2022 than they were in 2021. Reading proficiency, on the other hand, appears to have fully recovered.
Mays formally takes over as the head of one of the largest school districts in Texas on Friday. He steps into the role as Austin ISD faces ongoing challenges related to the pandemic, school safety and teacher retention.
Life & Arts
- El programa de vivienda asequible del condado de Travis abre una lista de espera por primera vez en ocho años
- La Corte Suprema de EEUU dictamina que el gobierno de Biden puede poner fin a la política de inmigración "Permanecer en México”
- El gobernador Abbott vuelve a añadir inspecciones de camiones en la frontera. Los críticos dicen que es un juego político.
- Una jueza de Texas bloquea una prohibición estatal previa a Roe y permite seguir practicando algunos abortos
- Proveedores de salud demandan a Texas por la prohibición del aborto previa a Roe
- Don't call it a comeback (yet): New music venues could open up on East Sixth Street
- Environmental advocates say Fayette coal plant is 'poisoning' residents, push city to test water
- Gov. Abbott is again adding truck inspections along the border. Critics say he’s playing politics.
- Austin struggled to hire summer employees. Then, it failed to pay some on time.
- Travis County DA won’t prosecute abortion seekers or providers
Take the 2022 Tech Survey