Planned Parenthood says it will provide abortions out of an RV-based clinic in southern Illinois by the end of the year. It will reduce travel time for some patients coming from surrounding states.
Hear directly from the candidates as they make their case for why they should be the next councilmembers.
The debate from the Rio Grande Valley took place as O’Rourke continues to trail in the polls.
Mike Sheppard was a jail warden for the West Texas Detention Center in Sierra Blanca — a privately owned detention facility that used to contract with the federal government to detain migrants. Louisiana-based LaSalle Corrections confirmed that he no longer worked with the company.
Reports of gunshots sent Ascension Seton Northwest Hospital into lockdown on Friday afternoon. Police now say the area is safe.
The measure will hold contractors working on district property to a higher standard. The resolution requires any entity awarded a bid for a bond project to provide safety training, living wages and independent on-site monitoring.
1 of 9 — AielliMarquee_PL_Aug012022
AUGUST 2022: A food delivery robot passes in front of the Paramount Theatre in downtown Austin. The marquee's message is in honor of KUTX host John Aielli, who died July 31.
2 of 9 — SanMarcosRiver_PL_Aug032022
A person swims in the San Marcos River.
3 of 9 — MonkeyPoxPress_GP_Aug092022
Mayor Steve Adler, Austin-Travis County Health Authority Dr. Desmar Walkes and Travis County Judge Andy Brown speak at a press conference to increase awareness and educate the public about monkeypox at Austin City Hall on Aug. 9.
Gabriel C. Pérez
4 of 9 — AISDFirstDay_RD_Aug152022
Adults drop off children outside Zilker Elementary School on the first day of classes in Austin ISD on Aug. 15.
5 of 9 — MISDFirstDay_PL_Aug152022
Students walk the halls of Manor Middle School on the first day of school.
6 of 9 — TaylorCemetery_KH_Aug182022
Morgan Cook, the City of Taylor Cemetery coordinator and sexton, walks past headstones at the cemetery. The gravesite was designated a "Historical Texas Cemetery" in August.
7 of 9 — PrideParade_ST_Aug202022
People carry signs that say "Let your freak flag fly!" as they march in the Austin Pride Parade on South Congress Avenue on Aug. 20.
8 of 9 — ArielJacksonBAM_GP_Aug252022
Visual artist Ariel René Jackson is photographed for the Black Austin Matters podcast by KUT and KUTX Studios.
Gabriel C. Pérez
9 of 9 — UvaldeParentsRally_PL_Aug262022
Sharwin Khot holds a sign that says "Protect our kids not guns," during a rally at the Texas Capitol hosted by families from Uvalde and March for Our Lives. The groups called for gun control reforms in the wake of the Uvalde school shooting earlier this year.
Life & Arts
- El consejo escolar del Austin ISD aprueba protecciones para trabajadores de construcción antes de la elección de bonos
- El consejo escolar del Austin ISD analiza aumentar protecciones para trabajadores de construcción
- El Fiscal General de Texas, Paxton, no tendrá que comparecer ante el tribunal tras haber esquivado una citación judicial
- Coalición de sheriffs de la frontera dice que "el tiempo dirá" si la designación de terrorismo de Abbott dara frutos
- ¿Sabes quién es tu concejal de Austin? Ese puesto puede estar en las elecciones de Noviembre.
- Years ago, Austin set affordable housing goals. The city is far from accomplishing them.
- Do you know who your Austin City Council member is? That seat may be up for election in November.
- Indigenous tribe renews yearslong fight to reclaim human remains from UT
- Texas (again) has the highest uninsured rate in the country
- Austin ISD is considering turning two properties into teacher and staff housing