'I'm just in shock': Austinites react to Supreme Court decision ending the constitutional right to abortion
Providers in Texas said they would stop offering abortions immediately while they figure out if anti-abortion laws in effect before Roe now apply.
Texas already had one of the nation's strictest abortion bans. With the Supreme Court's decision, it is set to become even more restrictive.
Jim Obergefell was the named plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that legalized same-sex marriage in 2015. He spells out why the LGBTQ+ community is so concerned about Roe v Wade.
There are multiple tales behind a cave known as Stark’s mine in the area. It was said to be dug over 100 years ago in an attempt to find buried treasure.
We met Yorkie Louie back in 2019 when a listener asked about the man on the dance floor with a disco ball on a stick. Yorkie left Austin last month for Denver to be closer to family and farther from Texas' conservative politics.
1 of 9 — DragBrunch3_KL_Jun182022
PRIDE 2022: Drag queen Brigitte Bandit performs during a drag brunch at the Coconut Club on June 18.
2 of 9 — DragBrunch2_KL_Jun182022
Brigitte Bandit receives cash from a guest during her performance.
3 of 9 — DragBrunch1_KL_Jun182022
A bachelorette party watches as Brigitte Bandit sings and dances while impersonating Dolly Parton at the downtown dance club, the Coconut Club.
4 of 9 — RoundRockPride1_KL_Jun042022
Round Rock held its first pride festival on June 4, at Centennial Plaza.
5 of 9 — RoundRockPride2_KL_Jun042022
Madysen Shepard paints a nonbinary flag on Jinx Noble's face at the Round Rock Pride Festival.
6 of 9 — RoundRockPride3_KL_Jun042022
The Austin Gay Men's Chorus performs at the Round Rock Pride Festival.
7 of 9 — RoundRockPride4_KL_Jun042022
Festival attendees wear rainbow-colored cowboy hats as they watch the Austin Gay Men's Chorus perform.
8 of 9 — RoundRockPride5_KL_Jun042022
A performer from the Austin Babtist Women comedy troupe sings to the Round Rock crowds.
9 of 9 — RoundRockPride6_KL_Jun042022
A person waves an LGBTQ+ flag in front of a Round Rock banner at Centennial Plaza.
President Joe Biden noted that this is the first time the court has revoked a constitutional right. Now that Roe has been overturned, "the health and life of women in this nation are now at risk."
The Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade, but abortion was already essentially outlawed in the state. What questions does that raise for you? We'll do our best to answer those questions.
The House approved the bipartisan bill 234 to 193 exactly one month after a mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas. It's the first gun control measure to come out of Congress in nearly three decades.
The hearings provided a preview into what lawmakers will focus on grid-wise in next year's legislative session. That preview may worry renewable energy advocates.
Various Republican House members requested pardons from President Donald Trump in the final days of his administration, according to testimony presented before the Jan. 6 committee.
Life & Arts
- CapMetro dejará que los pasajeros se bajen entre paradas por la noche y permitirá llevar carriolas abiertas en los autobuses
- La temporada de serpientes ha llegado a Texas - esto es lo que tienes que saber
- El caso de la exaltación de Freddy Fender como primer miembro hispano del Salón de la Fama de la Música Country
- 3 conclusiones de la convención del Partido Republicano de Texas de este año
- En medio de la crisis de precios, Austin podría aumentar el salario mínimo de empleados de la ciudad a $22 la hora
- Austin ISD approves $1.9 billion budget — but nearly half of that money will go to the state
- Austin Community College employees call for a 10% raise as living expenses soar
- Worried how climate change will affect water in Texas? Researchers want to help you find out.
- 3 takeaways from this year’s Republican Party of Texas convention
- Texas lawmakers have been working to ban abortion for decades. Their mission is almost complete.