Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Car Donation FAQ

Contacting CARS today will give you a double benefit!

  1. You may be eligible for a tax deduction on your federal taxes.
  2. You’ll be supporting the great programs you enjoy on KUT!

Just fill out the form below or call 1-877-KUT-4CAR (877-588-4227).

What are the benefits of donating my car to KUT?
KUT benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events.

You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Do I become a KUT member by donating my car? If so, what level of membership will be offered?
You will become a member after your car is sold at auction and proceeds are credited to KUT. Your membership level will be directly in alignment with the amount for which your car sold (for instance, if it sold for $1,200 or more, you will become a Leadership Circle member, if for $365 you will be eligible to be a dollar-a-day member, $40 regular membership). Your membership will be a one-year membership. It will take approximately six weeks to process your membership from the time you receive notice that your car has sold at auction.

Does my car have to be running to donate it?
In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be tow-able. Contact a representative at 877-KUT-4-CAR to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.

Do you only accept cars for donation?
Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, and cars. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact the vehicle donation program toll free at 877-KUT-4-CAR.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. Call our representatives at 877-KUT-4-CAR.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?
No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.

Do I pay for the towing?
No, there is no charge to you for the towing.

What paperwork do I need?
The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have your title with you when you call-in your donation. [Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.]

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?
For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.

What if I receive legal notices?
In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV actions or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact us at 877-KUT-4-CAR immediately for assistance.

How does the new law effect my tax deduction?
Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
Yes, our driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.

What if my car is valued over $5000?
Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle Account.

An IRS Form 1098-C, “Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes” will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?
The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.

Does the new law affect KUT?
KUT has additional paperwork in reporting the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the vehicle to the donor and IRS. The process of obtaining the cash donation from the vehicle remains the same.

What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.

I donated my vehicle several weeks ago and I have not heard what it sold for. How can I find out? I need the information for my tax return.
Call our representatives at 877-KUT-4-CAR and they will inform you where your vehicle is in the selling process. Keep in mind that the entire auction process and paperwork completion could take several weeks. But a phone call to our representatives will provide you the information you need, especially at tax time.