Your Last Chance To Weigh In On AISD's 2011-12 Budget
Austin school board members are set to vote on an $838 million budget one week from today. But first, they want to hear from the public during a hearing tonight at AISD headquarters.
The state is cutting more than $35 million from Austin ISD’s budget. But one-time federal money through the so-called EduJobs program is adding $14 million to the district’s coffers.
Here are some of the items included in the budget:
- Continued funding for full day pre-kindergarten
- Additional planning period for secondary teachers
- A plan to keep student to teacher ratios at 22 to 1, even though the state said it would be more permissive in handing out waivers for 24 to 1 class size ratios
Here are some things not in the budget
- Salary increase for employees
- Hardship leave
- Social security for part-time employees
- Plans for a tax rate increase