Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Manor Lockdown Lifted, Separate Threat at Hendrickson High Cleared

Photo by Daniel Reese for KUT News

The lockdown at Manor High School has been lifted, after it was determined the "suspicious device" in question was a non-explosive replica of a military grenade.

Meanwhile, Pflugerville ISD police and the Pflugerville police department briefly investigated a threat at Hendrickson High School before giving the all-clear.

The following statement is from the Manor ISD website:

This morning an unauthorized adult brought a suspicious device onto the Manor High School campus. The device was only seen in the school parking lot and the person never entered the building. All students and staff were moved to Manor Middle School as a safety precaution. Travis County Sheriff’s Office has determined that the device was a replica grenade. Law enforcement and school officials are in the process of returning students to their campus. Students can be released to parents from Manor High School but we prefer that students remain on campus so instruction is not disrupted any further. No students or staff members were in danger at any time, but law enforcement and school officials took all necessary precautions to ensure their safety. Due to the efforts of the high school staff working in coordination with emergency personnel, the evacuation was a smooth process and the high school is to be commended for their handling of this event.

Roger Wade with the Travis County Sheriff's Office confirms the above account. As for the man who had the replica grenade in his car, Wade says "At this point, we’re still investigating and talking with him, trying to determine why he was at the school. So were working with the Manor Police Department and trying to determine why he was at the school, and why he carries a replica grenade in his vehicle."

The Hendrickson High threat has been cleared as well, after Pflugerville ISD police, supported by administrators and Pflugerville police, searched the campus. Jo Moss, Emergency manager for Pflugerville ISD, said the school received a “very short, very cryptic” threat over the phone around the time of the Manor incident. "It turns out this was nothing but a threat," she says, noting the school was never on lockdown.

Wells has been a part of KUT News since 2012, when he was hired as the station's first online reporter. He's currently the social media host and producer for Texas Standard, KUT's flagship news program. In between those gigs, he served as online editor for KUT, covering news in Austin, Central Texas and beyond.