Title: Managing Editor
Location: Dallas, TX
Hiring Station: KERA-FM
NPR and its member stations are creating an innovative new system of regional news hubs designed to reshape the journalism landscape -- and the prototype is being built in Texas.
We’re looking for a dynamic leader to link local, regional and national news efforts on radio and digital platforms. The Managing Editor will be employed in Dallas at KERA, lead station for the collaboration between the network and the Texas stations. The other three managing stations are KUT in Austin, Houston Public Media and Texas Public Radio in San Antonio.
The Managing Editor leads implementation of the Hub’s regional coverage strategy, expanding a Texas news collaboration that covers stories in urgent and enterprising ways. In consultation with station and NPR leaders, the Managing Editor will define the Hub’s editorial vision and develop the strategy for executing it.
The Managing Editor is responsible for setting daily and long-term coverage priorities for statewide newscasts, radio reports and digital content. This editor will make decisions about the resources needed for major breaking news and for stories developed and managed by the Hub; they will work in concert with stations and the network to execute. The Managing Editor will enforce editorial and ethical standards for content produced through the Hub.
The Managing Editor is the principal contact for station leaders and for NPR, and will develop daily, weekly and long-term communication structures. The Managing Editor will work with NPR to ensure the Texas News Hub is represented in the network’s editorial planning and connected to appropriate NPR staff.
The Managing Editor will integrate metrics into all hub activities. The Managing Editor will develop and share best practices among emerging regional hubs.
- Develop the editorial vision for the Hub, to include statewide newscasts, feature stories, digital and enterprise journalism. Partner with stations and NPR to articulate the goals and desired outcomes for a Texas newsroom.
- Serve as central point of contact for editorial leaders at the stations and at NPR. Ensure that communication occurs in a 360-degree view, so that station priorities are communicated to NPR and vice versa. Resolve conflicts with focus on audience needs rather than internal wants.
- Oversee development and expansion of statewide newscasts.
- Supervise all Hub staff. Direct daily work, assigning tasks and deploying staff as necessary. Coach staff in developing professional skills and create long-term improvement plans. Write performance evaluations. Lead and inspire.
- Create, update and ensure implementation of a breaking news response plan for stories of statewide and national interest. Assist stations in developing local breaking news plans that dovetail with the statewide plan.
- Conduct regular check-ins with editors at the four managing stations; with NPR editor assigned to the Hub; with smaller stations around the state.
- Implement a communication process for everything from daily logistics to long-term planning, using one-to-one calls, conference calls, interactive collaboration tools (Slack, etc.).
- Oversee story planning for the short-term (daily news), middle-term (features) and long-term (projects) on radio and digital platforms. Ensure processes are inclusive and that desired outcomes are broadly shared. Enforce deadlines.
- Define best practices for production of on-air and digital content, with an audience-first mindset. Provide regular feedback on story execution, identifying strengths and areas for improvement.
- Strengthen digital journalism capacity, defining digital responsibilities for each member of the Hub staff and integrating digital production into the daily workflow. Build visual storytelling capacity.
- Perform hands-on editing as needed. Edit/review controversial or sensitive content. Edit/review enterprise and investigative stories.
- Conduct regular station visits and schedule station visits for other Hub staff members. Identify training opportunities for local reporters and lead planning and execution.
- Develop, in concert with NPR and stations, an ongoing statewide training program.
- Strong leadership skills as demonstrated by at least three years in a supervisory and/or management position.
- Strategic thinker with project-management experience.
- Record of excellent communication in person and in remote situations.
- Proven journalism skills that include reporting, producing, editing.
- Understanding of both on-air and digital journalism production; experience in both platforms preferred.
- Dedication to diversity in sourcing, topics and approaches is a must.
- Maintain editorial standards of accuracy, thoroughness, ethics, balance and diversity.
- Report from and work in the field as assigned.
- Ability to exercise sound news judgment and generate factual, error-free online copy quickly in breaking news situations.
- Strong content editing/proofreading abilities, including knowledge of AP style.
- Strategic thinker, with the ability to work with others to put together detailed, easy-to-understand plans.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about online journalism and local news opportunities in Texas.
- Dedication to diversity a must.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field or equivalent required; media or journalism degree preferred. Preferred Skills:
- Experience working in collaborative organizations.
- Experience working in public media.
- Experience developing new products.
- Deep knowledge of Texas people, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international issues, and events.
- Fluent in multiple languages. Spanish-language skills are a plus.
- Experience with and credibility in Texas journalism and/or with NPR.
The hiring station is working with Stone Alliance to recruit for this position. If you are interested, please send an email along with your resume to email@example.com