Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Each month we spotlight a local nonprofit that's in need of help. It's a way to connect our listeners with charities that make an impact.

Get Involved Spotlight: Urban Roots

From Urban Roots,  this month’s Get Involved spotlight non-profit:

Urban Roots uses food and farming to transform the lives of young people and inspire, engage, and nourish the community. Originally founded in 2007 as a program of YouthLaunch, in 2011 Urban Roots became its own thriving, independent non-profit agency.

Urban Roots provides paid internship opportunities to Austin youth ages 14-17, to work on a 3.5 acre urban, sustainable farm in East Austin. These youth leaders inspire the community by leading visitors and volunteers on the farm, they engage thousands of Austinites with hands-on opportunities to learn about healthy lifestyles, and they nourish the community by donating produce to over 8,000 people in need. Each year Urban Roots grows about 30,000 pounds of produce, 40% of which is donated to local soup kitchens and food pantries. The other 60% is sold at farmers’ markets, through a Community Supported Agriculture Program.

Volunteer support is the crucial component to Urban Roots’ recipe for empowering youth and nourishing the community. We hope you’ll come get your hands dirty with us.

Volunteer Opportunities:

On our Farm: Volunteers ten years old and older help with planting, harvesting, preparing produce for market, and the many other tasks necessary to maintain a farm. Volunteers are welcome most Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:30-11:30 AM. No RSVP is required for individuals and groups smaller than five; groups larger than five must RSVP.

Volunteers are also welcome on select Saturdays, where Youth Interns lead volunteers through the farm tasks. Space is limited for Saturdays, so an RSVP is required to attend.

Check here for an updated calendar of farm volunteer opportunities, information about what to wear/bring as well as directions to the farm. To RSVP, please email

Special volunteer opportunities:

On an ongoing basis, Urban Roots seeks individuals with specialized skills to fill specific needs for programs and the office. From mechanical specialties to help on the farm (like carpenters, welders, and electricians) to others including photography, administrative skills, social media, and assistance with community outreach and our signature events— all interested volunteers are crucial to the success of Urban Roots.

Related Content