Central Texas Severe Weather
Central Texas School Closures (As of 8:00 a.m.)
- AISD and Lake Travis ISD classes have not been canceled or delayed.
- Pflugerville ISD will not have a delay, but due to damages there will be no bus service for high school or middle schools.
- Lockhart ISD has canceled classes today
- UPDATE (8:01 a.m.): Bastrop ISD has canceled classes for the day.
- San Marcos ISD will start at 10am this morning. Buses will run two hours late.
- Manor ISD will start at 9am this morning.
- Elgin ISD will has a two hour delay this morning.
Road Closures (As of 7:00 a.m.)
- Flooding at William Cannon at Westgate Blvd.
- Signals out at 290 and E. Springdale.
- William Cannon closed between Westgate and Brodie.
- Emergency Manager reports: 2 to 3 feet of water over the 3000 block of William Cannon Road in South Austin.
- Lakewood Dr @ FM 1626
- Crystal creek @ FM 967
- Hwy 21, FM 150 to Yarrington Rd.
- 3000 and 4000 block of County Road 450 in Thrall
- County Rd 123 at Brushy Creek and Hutto
- County Rd 137 from FM 1660 to County Road 197
Austin Energy is reporting power outages affecting several thousand customers. The largest of those reported outages are in Pflugerville around Dessau Road and Howard Lane; near 290 East and 183; and just north of Highway 71 and 130. Here's an interactive list of Austin Energy's outages.
Weather Warnings (as of 7:43 a.m.)
The National Weather Service has issued the following warnings for Central Texas:
- A tornado watch for Bastrop, Fayette and Caldwell Counties until 11 a.m.
- A flash flood warning for Bastrop County until 9:30 a. m.
- A flash flood warning for Travis County until 8 a.m.
- A flash flood warning for Hays County until 8 a.m.
- A flash flood warning for Caldwell County until 8 a.m.
Possible Tornado in Northeast Austin
The Austin Fire Department and Austin Police Department are investigating reports that a tornado touched down near the 5100 block of Commercial Park Drive, near old Manor Road and Springdale Road. Both agencies are onsite. The area appears to have suffered some type of wind damage, but it is unclear whether it was straight-wind or a tornado. There is a collapsed warehouse. Other surrounding structures have also been damaged. There are no injuries reported.
Record Rainfall in Austin
The National Weather Service is reporting a record rainfall for the date of Jan. 25 of 5.59 inches at Austin Bergstrom this morning. This breaks the old record of 0.99 inches set on Jan. 25 in 1973.