Austin's NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Flash Flood Watch in Effect for Central Texas Until 6:00 p.m. Saturday

Nathan Bernier for KUT News

UPDATE: The National Weather Service has issued a Flash Flood Warning for Western Caldwell, Hays, and South Central Travis counties until 3:00 p.m. Saturday afternoon. A Flash Flood Warning means that flash flooding is already happening or highly likely in the warning area.

The National Weather Service has issued a Flash Flood Watch for just about all of Central Texas, including Bastrop, Burnet, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties until 6:00 p.m. Saturday. The chance of rain for Saturday is 80%. That chance of rain drops to 20% for tonight.

A flash flood watch means that flash flooding is possible in the watch area. The ground is already soaked from Friday's rains. And the National Weather Service is predicting another two to five inches of rain on Saturday.

YNN Austin is reporting pretty healthy rain totals for Friday, including right around three and a half inches at both Austin Bergstrom International Airport and Camp Mabry.

Public safety officials remind drivers to use caution if they see water across a roadway. Click here to see a list of any road closures in the City of Austin.

Jennifer Stayton is the local host for NPR's "Morning Edition" on KUT. Got a tip? Email her at Follow her on Twitter @jenstayton.