Central Texas Winter Storm Warning Downgraded to Advisory; AISD Cancels All Saturday Activities
12:30 p.m.update: The National Weather Service has canceled the Winter Storm Warning that had been in effect for Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties until midnight tonight. A less severe Winter Weather Advisory is now in effect for the area until 4:00 p.m.
A winter storm warning remains in effect for the Hill Country until midnight tonight. Caution is still advised on area roads as temperatures have been hovering right around freezing all day.
Saturday 5:30 a.m. update: The City of Austin has closed all city rec centers, parks, health clinic facilities, and libraries today because of concerns over wintry weather conditions. The University of Texas at Austin expects to operate on a normal schedule this weekend. Austin Police are reminding drivers to use caution on elevated roadways, as there has been some minor ice accumulation this morning. In addition to the Winter Storm Warnings in effect for Central Texas and the Hill Country, the National Weather Service has also issued a less severe Winter Weather advisory for Bastrop and Caldwell counties until noon Saturday.
9:30 p.m. update: The National Weather has revised the forecast for the Austin area and issued a Winter Storm Warning for parts of Central Texas including Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties until midnight Saturday. A winter storm warning means sleet, freezing rain, or freezing drizzle is occurring or about to occur and could pose travel problems. A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for the Hill Country until midnight Saturday.
Earlier: The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Central Texas until noon on Saturday. A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for the Hill Country until midnight Saturday night. For the Austin area, most of the light accumulation will be on overpasses and bridges. But in the Hill Country, ice accumulations of half an inch or more could make travel treacherous.
Because of the possibility of some wintry precipitation overnight Friday and into Saturday morning, many area school districts have canceled activities scheduled for Saturday morning:
- Austin Independent School District is delaying the start of activities until 1:00 p.m. Any activities that cannot be delayed will be canceled. Any out of town travel scheduled before 1:00 p.m. is canceled. Saturday update for AISD: All activities and travel for Saturday have been canceled.
- Eanes ISD: All facilities are closed and all Saturday events are canceled.
- Georgetown ISD: Travel for extracurricular activities and events at GISD facilities on Saturday are suspended. Saturday update: District travel has been approved starting at 10:00 a.m.
- Hays CISD: All Saturday activities are canceled.
- Hutto ISD: Travel for some Saturday events is restricted. Out of town travel will be looked at on a case by case basis.
- Lake Travis ISD: Athletic events are canceled for Saturday. Band and choir events will be determined. Saturday update for Lake Travis ISD: Some band and choir events have been delayed until Sunday.
- Leander ISD: All events and travel before 1:00 p.m. are canceled. Saturday update: The start time for all events and activities today has now been delayed until 3:00 p.m
- Manor ISD: All in-district events have been delayed until 1:00 p.m. Events that cannot be delayed are canceled. All out of district travel is prohibited before noon.
- Pflugerville ISD: All Saturday activities are canceled.
- Round Rock ISD: All events scheduled before 1:00 p.m. on Saturday are canceled. Out of town travel is prohibited before 1:00 p.m. Saturday update: All events scheduled before 3:00 p.m. have been canceled. All out of town travel is prohibited before 3:00.
The University of Texas at Austin is operating on a normal schedule this weekend, though any employees who cannot get to work because of road conditions are asked to contact their supervisor. All Austin Community College campuses and locations will be closed on Saturday.