Winter Weather Advisory In Effect Through 9 AM Thursday; Schools Cancel Classes (Updated)
UPDATE Thursday 4:00 a.m.: The National Weather Service has downgraded the winter storm warning to a winter weather advisory in effect until 9:00 a.m. The winter storm warning that had been in effect for the area has been canceled. The National Weather Service says the area has received less precipitation than expected and the impacts on travel will not be as significant as originally thought, though there could still be some icy patches on bridges, overpasses, and elevated roadways. A wind advisory is also in effect for Central Texas until 9:00 a.m. Thursday.
Austin Resource Recovery will not make curbside collections of trash, recycling, and yard trimmings on Thursday. Service will slide to one day later for Thursday and Friday customers this week.
Huston-Tillotson University will open at 1:30 p.m., with classes starting at 2:30 p.m. Concordia University will open at noon today. All operations at St. Edward's University operations are now scheduled to begin at 12:30 Thursday.
EARLIER: The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for freezing rain and sleet until noon Thursday for the following counties: Travis, Williamson, Llano, Burnet, Val Verde, Edwards, Real, Kerr, Bandera, Gillespie, Kendall, Blanco and Hays.
UPDATE 10:45 pm: Texas State University in San Marcos and Round Rock will delay start of classes until 12:30 p.m. Thursday. St. Edward's University will begin classes at 10 a.m. The Texas A&M Health Science Center in Round Rock will open at noon Thursday.
UPDATE 9:19 pm: UT Austin, Austin Community College and Southwestern University will be closed until 1 p.m. Thursday.
City of Austin and Travis County offices and facilities will also open late, at 1 p.m.
Capital Metro also says it is detouring some bus routes to avoid bridges and overpasses that may accumulate ice. Those include routes 2, 3, 275, 331 and 350. Flyer routes 171, 333, 982, 983, 985 and 987 will also be detoured.
UPDATE 7:54 pm: Here are the school districts so far that have canceled classes for Thursday:
- Austin ISD
- Bastrop ISD
- Burnet CISD
- Eanes ISD
- Elgin ISD
- Del Valle ISD
- Dripping Springs ISD
- Florence ISD
- Georgetown ISD
- Hays CISD
- Hutto ISD
- Lago Vista ISD
- Lake Travis ISD
- Leander ISD
- Manor ISD
- Pflugerville ISD
- Round Rock ISD
- Taylor ISD
Other Weather-Related Announcements
- Southwest Key says both its East Austin Prep Academies will be closed Thursday.
- Wayside Schools says it will be closed.
- The YMCA of Austin says it will have a delayed opening at noon.
- Austin Travis-County EMS says its staffing an extra three to six ambulances.
- Williamson County says all its offices will be closed.
- The city of Kyle says it won't open until 10 a.m.
- The Texas Education Agency says it will open at noon.
- The Texas General Land Office will be closed. 10:00 a.m. update: the General Land Office now says it will open at noon.
- Meals on Wheels and More has canceled its meal deliveries for Thursday. In late January, the organization delivered shelf-sustainable meals to its clients for such an occasion, says a spokesperson.
Some school districts have already announced that they will start on a two-hour delay Thursday morning: Blanco ISD, Harper ISD, Luling ISD, Lockhart ISD, Marble Falls ISD and Prairie Lea ISD have all announced that they will start at 10 a.m. School bus service will start two hours later than normal. Mason ISD will start at 11 a.m., and bus service will start three hours later than normal. San Marcos CISD is on a two hour delay Thursday morning.
Check back here for updates on cancelations and road conditions.