Winter Weather Causes Cancellations, Late Starts For Austin-Area Schools
Central Texas is waking up to freezing temperatures, some leftover snow and icy roads. The combination led several area school districts to cancel classes Friday or at least delay the start of school until 10 a.m.
So far, the following districts have canceled classes:
- Austin ISD
- Hays CISD
- Bastrop ISD
- Eanes ISD
- Del Valle ISD
- Lockhart ISD
- Manor ISD
- KIPP Austin
The following schools are on a delayed start Friday:
- Wimberley ISD - buses will start at 8:30 a.m., depending on conditions; school will start at 10 a.m.
- Smithville ISD - school will start at 10 a.m.
- Austin Community College - campuses and centers will open at 10 a.m.
- UT Austin - the university will open at 10 a.m.
- New Braunfels - two-hour delay
- Blanco ISD - Blanco Elementary will begin at 10 a.m. while the middle and high schools will start at 10:15.
- Pflugerville ISD - two-hour delay
The National Weather Service says there is a freeze advisory in place until 9 a.m., and there's a good chance drivers will find icy roads heading out this morning. But things will warm up after sunrise, reaching 50 degrees by noon.