As Texans Rush to Help OK, Gov. Perry Urges Emergency Plan
Central Texas is helping those in Moore, Oklahoma and surrounding areas in relief and rescue efforts.
Last night, Texas Task Force 1 was dispatched to Oklahoma, an elite search and rescue team which includes 5 members from the Austin Fire Department.
Both the Salvation Army and Red Cross of Central Texas remain poised to help those affected by the EF-5 tornado and those first responders leading relief efforts after the storm that ripped apart the town on Monday night.
And even the non-profit Austin Disaster Relief Network has sent teams that will arrive in Oklahoma this afternoon to help families in the Oklahoma City suburb, with more heading in within the next few days.
Even SpareFoot, an Austin-based storage provider, will donate a month of storage space for those in the Oklahoma City area to store their belongings.
But as those in Texas and across the nation rally around the community, Governor Perry reminds Texans to understand the unpredictability of storms like these and recommends a few tips to improve safety and ensure the . With that in mind, here are some steps you can take to prepare for a storm.
In the event of a storm:
- Be sure to have an emergency plan for any natural disaster. Practice the plan and discuss the best places to seek shelter in your house.
- Mark utility switches (electrical breakers, gas lines and water mains) and turn utilities off in the event of a tornado watch or warning. Mark fire extinguishers and first-aid kits in the event of injury or emergency and avoid open flames following a disaster.
- Store all documents – birth certificates, vehicle title slips, insurance policies and wills – in a fire and water-proof safe.
- Keep numbers for emergency responders and hospitals clearly displayed.
- Know the emergency evacuation plan for your child’s school.
- Document any medication or emergency needs for your family. Keep a list of medications on your person.
- Secure furniture by placing it on the ground, away from any windows, mirrors or any glass.