Thanksgiving 2013: Turkey Trot Road Detours, City of Austin Closures
Even if you’re staying off the highway this Thanksgiving, your plans might still be affected by holiday schedules and street closures.
Chief among them: the 23rd Annual ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot takes place downtown Thursday morning, with many roads blocked off until noon. The course, which begins at Auditorium Shores, features a five-mile run, a one-mile walk, and a Stepping Stone School Kids’ K. (See a map of related street closures below.)
Public transportation routes and schedules will also be changed for Thanksgiving. Capital Metro will be operating Sunday-level bus service on Thanksgiving Day, and Saturday-level bus service on Friday.
MetroRail, UT shuttles, Night Owl, and E-Bus service will be closed both days. Plan your route in advance using Capital Metro’s travel planner.
The holiday also means different hours for some City of Austin departments. Here’s more info:
- City of Austin administrative offices and municipal facilities will be closed Nov. 28-29. Normal business hours will resume on Monday, Dec. 2.
- Trash pickup will “slide” one day for customers who normally have their trash picked up on Thursday or Friday. Pickup days will instead be moved to Friday and Saturday.
- The Austin Animal Center will close at 5 p.m. Wednesday and remain closed until Friday morning.
- Austin Public Libraries close at 6 p.m. on Wednesday and remain closed all day Thursday and Friday.
- Barton Springs Pool will remain open Thursday, but there are no lifeguards present.
- The Zilker Botanical Garden will be closed all day on Thursday.
More information about city closures can be found here.