Thousands of runners will gather for the Austin Marathon, Half-Marathon and 5K races this Sunday, beginning at 7 a.m. The starting line is on Congress Avenue just north of the river. Drivers should plan to take alternate routes around parts of downtown due to road closures.
The race will block off several streets.
- East Ninth Street between Congress Avenue and Brazos Street
- Starting at 8 p.m., Congress will close between Eighth and 11th streets
- Congress Avenue between Cesar Chavez and 11th Street.
- Riverside Drive between South First Street and Lee Barton Road
- At 4 a.m., Congress closes from Cesar Chavez up to Eighth Street
- Riverside Drive between South First St. and Lee Barton Road closes at 8 a.m.
Streets from Cesar Chavez up to 11th Street for a few blocks on either side of Congress will close early Sunday.
The city suggests these alternate routes for traffic:
- North/South: Mopac (Loop 1), Lamar Blvd. and I-35
- East/West: Koenig Street, 45th Street, Hwy 183, Hwy 71/290
The race is expected to wrap up by 3 p.m. Streets will begin re-opening at 11 a.m. Sunday. For more information about closures and traffic detours visit the Austin Marathon’s website.