KUT News wins seven regional Edward R. Murrow awards
AUSTIN, Texas — April 19, 2016 — KUT News has won seven regional Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) – more than any other large-market station in the country – in recognition of excellence in electronic journalism.
The awards were in the Region 6 (Oklahoma and Texas) large market radio category for the following projects produced in 2015:
- Overall Excellence, KUT staff
- The Missing Tortoise of South Austin, reported by Mose Buchele, won the feature reporting category
- Austin's Eastern Frontier, reported by KUT, KLRU-TV and the Austin Monitor, won the news series category
- This is What a Night of Drunk Driving Enforcement Sounds Like, reported by Terrence Henry, won the hard news category
- The Invisible Thing That (Almost) All Your Music Has in Common, reported by Matt Largey, won in the use of sound category
- Mose Buchele won in the writing category. Listen to samples of his writing.
- KUT.org won in the website category.
Thirteen awards were given in the region six large market radio category this year. See all of the Murrow Award winners.
This brings to 50 the number of Regional Murrow Awards KUT News has won since the KUT newsroom was established in 2002. Regional winners are automatically entered in the national Edward R. Murrow Awards competition, which will be judged during the summer and presented this fall. KUT News has won four National Edward R. Murrow Awards.
KUT 90.5, Austin's NPR station, delivers in-depth stories by and about people in Austin – for Austin – with the highest journalistic standards from a variety of thoughtful perspectives. A founding member of NPR, KUT News has won more than 200 state, national and international awards for journalistic excellence. “Texas Standard,” KUT’s one-hour daily news program heard on 24 public radio stations across the state, offers crisp, up-to-the-moment coverage of politics, lifestyle, the environment, technology, innovation and business — from a Texas perspective.
About the RTNDA
RTNDA, the world’s largest professional organization devoted exclusively to electronic journalism, has been honoring outstanding achievement in electronic journalism with the Edward R. Murrow Awards since 1971. RTNDA represents local and network news executives in broadcasting, cable and other electronic media in more than 30 countries. For more information, visit: http://www.rtnda.org.
Press contact: Erin Geisler (512) 475-8071