Looking for West, TX Benefits in Austin?
For now, those rebuilding the community in West, Texas following last week’s fertilizer plant explosion don’t need clothing or blood donations – they’ve received a massive outpouring of support from the Central Texas area and beyond.
What they need is money.
Luckily, there are plenty of Austinites looking to help West reach the estimated $100 million in rebuilding costs. With that in mind, here are some of the donation programs and events that will benefit families in West:
- Austin Goes West Concert for West featuring Jon Wolfe at Speakeasy, April 24 – This event features Texas country crooner Jon Wolfe and special guests. The $20 admission fee will benefit relief efforts in West and comes with a complimentary free drink.
- West Benefit at la Barbecue, Sunday April 28 from 11 am to 2 pm – The morning after the West explosion, Austin barbecue blogger Drew Thornley tweeted a proposition: He would organize a benefit for relief efforts in West if a barbecue joint would provide the food. Within five minutes la Barbecue on South First responded, and Saint Arnold’s Brewery will keep beer and root beer flowing for those in attendance.
- Willie Nelson at The Backyard, Sunday April 28 – The Red-Headed Stranger announced last week that his birthday party will now benefit the West Volunteer Fire Department. Nelson grew up in Abbott, 5 miles north of West, and called west his own “backyard” growing up.
- Charity Raffle & Crawfish Boil at Lucy’s Retired Surfer Bar, April 28 – You may want to come for the crawfish, but the raffle might catch your attention as well, featuring items from Dragon’s Lair, Birds Barbershop, Red’s Porch, South Congress Books, Guero’s Taco Bar and Hop Doddy. The event will also feature live music and all proceeds will benefit the United Way of Austin and Waco.
- Songs for West– For local music lovers looking to donate can look no further than this 45-song compilation that features talent from Austin and abroad. 100 percent of the proceeds will go to the Baylor University West Relief Fund.
- H.E.B Donation Program – The next time you’re in the checkout line, you can donate $1, $3 or $5, with 100 percent of proceeds benefiting the American Red Cross campaign in West.
Any events we've missed? Please let us know in the comments section, and we'll be sure to add them to the list.