KUT News and “Texas Standard” Win Five Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
AUSTIN, Texas — April 26, 2017 — KUT News and “Texas Standard” have won five regional Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) in recognition of excellence in electronic journalism.
The awards were in the Region 6 (Oklahoma and Texas) large market radio category for the following projects produced in 2016:
KUT News, Austin’s NPR station
- ATXplained, reported by KUT staff, won in the news series category. Listen to a sampling of stories.
- Senior reporter Mose Buchele won in the writing category. Listen to samples of his writing.
- Web reporter Andrew Weber won in the social media category for work including: Live Blog: Trump in Austin, City Council member’s comment on likelihood of Prop 1’s defeat and Come for the headline, stay for the photos
“Texas Standard,” the national daily news show of Texas
- Out of the Blue: 50 Years After the UT Tower Shooting, reported and produced by “Texas Standard” staff, won in the news documentary category.
- Adult Crime, Adult Time, reported and produced by Alain Stephens and freelance journalist Hannah McBride, won in the investigative reporting category.
This brings to 53 the number of regional Murrow Awards KUT News has won since the newsroom was established in 2002. These are the first two regional Murrow Awards for the two-year-old show “Texas Standard.”
Regional winners are automatically entered in the national Edward R. Murrow Awards competition, which will be judged during the summer and presented this fall. KUT News has won four National Edward R. Murrow Awards.
KUT 90.5, Austin's NPR station, delivers in-depth stories by and about people in Austin – for Austin – with the highest journalistic standards from a variety of thoughtful perspectives. A founding member of NPR, KUT News has won more than 200 state, national and international awards for journalistic excellence.
About “Texas Standard”
“Texas Standard” sets the bar for broadcast news coverage, offering crisp, expansive coverage of politics, lifestyle and culture, the environment, technology and innovation, and business and the economy — from a distinctly Texas perspective. Hosted by award-winning journalist David Brown, the hour-long daily news magazine is grounded in the best traditions of American journalism: fact-based, independent and politically neutral reporting.
“Texas Standard,” which airs in 28 markets across Texas, is a project of KUT Austin, KERA North Texas, Houston Public Media, and San Antonio’s Texas Public Radio, in collaboration with news organizations across Texas.
Contact: Erin Geisler (512) 475-8071