Here's A List Of Which Central Texas School Districts Are Requiring Masks And Which Aren't
Updated on Sept. 9:
Austin and Travis County joined a handful of counties and school districts that are defying Gov. Greg Abbott's ban on mask requirements.
The order from Austin Mayor Steve Adler and Travis County Judge Andy Brown might eventually face a court challenge from state leadership, but for now masks are required in public schools, colleges and in city- and county-owned buildings.
While that means some Austin-area public schools will require masks, others in neighboring counties aren't taking a similar stand against Abbott's order. What's more, some districts may have masking policies that would buck any county orders.
To clarify some of the confusion, here's a list of Central Texas school districts' masking policies for students, faculty and staff. Click on the links for more details on each district's rules.
School districts with masking requirements:
- Austin ISD. Applies for all students, faculty and staff.
- Del Valle ISD. Applies for all students, staff and visitors.
- Eanes ISD. Applies to all students, staff and visitors.
- Elgin ISD. Applies to all students and staff.
- Leander ISD. Applies to all students, staff and visitors.
- Lockhart ISD. Applies to all students, staff and visitors.
- Manor ISD. Applies in all facilities and on buses.
- Pflugerville ISD. Applies for all students, staff and visitors.
- Round Rock ISD. Applies to students, staff and visitors for now. Does not affect fine arts, athletics and P.E. classes, unless a coach or instructor decides otherwise. The district allows families to opt out of the mask requirement. Officials say they will reassess the requirement in September.
- San Marcos CISD. Applies to all students, faculty and staff.
School districts without masking requirements:
- Bastrop ISD
- Dripping Springs ISD
- Georgetown ISD
- Hays ISD
- Hutto ISD. The district issued a mask mandate on Aug. 23 but the school board rescinded it on Aug. 27.
- Lago Vista ISD
- Lake Travis ISD
- Liberty Hill ISD
- Lockhart ISD
- Marble Falls ISD. The district issued a mask mandate on Sept. 1 but the school board rescinded it on Sept. 8.
- Wimberley ISD
This list will be updated as changes are announced.